Thursday, January 29, 2009

Seriously...Cheese?

I can think of a lot of things I would ban from coming into the United States. Guns, weapons of any kind, drugs, lead poisoned toys, tainted food, stuff made by countries that are guilty of human rights violations (did I say China, cause I didn’t mean to name a country that is guilty of human rights violations that imports crap to the United States every day…no…I don’t think I said China), there are a number of things I guess but I do believe that the one thing that would NEVER cross my mind is... cheese.
Yes folks, in the last days of his presidency, W decided to make a stand on….cheese. As a matter of fact Roquefort cheese to be exact. It appears that in a playground move any second grader would have been proud of George decided that if the European Union was going to ban imports of U.S. beef containing hormones then by-God he would hit them back in the cheese…Roquefort to be exact. The Bush administration via U.S. Trade Representative Susan C. Schwab imposed a 300 percent duty on the smelliest of cheeses which makes it now impossible for your average snob…or person who enjoys Roquefort, to get the French cheese. It is an amazing and ridiculous move on the part of the Bush administration. (I know, I know…how often you have heard that over the last four years…)
The long and short of it is this… the price the French will pay for wanting to ensure that their citizens are not eating beef that is altered and not natural is no more Roquefort imports to the United States. The message: “Eat our over hormonal, chemically changed cows or we won’t eat your natural cheese!” Some days you just have to say…wow…..

If you have a need to shake your head while fighting back tears of laughter, visit http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28907462/ for the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment